Along Via dei Pucci stands the Pucci Palace, built by an ancient Florentine family that still lives there and has distinguished itself for its roles in the political, religious and economic and intelligent patronage of the arts.
Le premier de la famille,Jacopo, arrivait à Florence de la campagne autour Arezzo en XII siècle et il s’implatait dans le quartier de Santa Croce.
The first of the family, Jacopo, came to Florence from Earldom in Arezzo during the XII century and settled in the Santa Croce district. The coat of arms, constitued by a moor with a white stripe and three hammers and the motto Candida Praecordia, does not have any verified historical source.
One of the interpretations is that Jacopo belonged to the Ghibelline famil of the Saracini who had distinguished in the wars against the Saracens so much as to take its name, in contrast with his family of origin he left his last name and the city of Arezzo and he become guelfo enrolling himself in the art of the carpenters, where, given his not great stature was nicknamed Jacopuccio and then Puccio, and his children and nephews became the Pucci, all affiliated to the carpenters.
A branch of the family moved to the San Michele Visdomini people. Antonio Pucci, member of theeight of the guard and Balia in 1412, was the ancestor of the four branches of this part of the family and left remarkable traces in the public life of the city, still present nowadays.
Thanks to Orazio Ruberto (1625-1697), ambassador in Madrid, the family’s main branch got in 1662 from Filippo IV Spain, the title of marquis of Barsento.
In 1748 Orazio Roberto Pucci (1730-1802) began the works that in five years carry the front on via dei Pucci, between via Ricasoli and Via dei Servi, into a unitary capacity. While today the part that is the corner with Via Ricasoli belongs to the descendants of deceased Emilio Pucci, ho left his daughter Laudomia the brand of the prestigious fashion house that bears his name, the central facade part of the building belongs to maqruis Giannozzo Pucci, son of Puccio, brother of Emilio, “guardian” of the Archive and the family memories.
The courtyard, after the several changes which have occured during the centuries, has been restored by the Marquis Puccio Pucci in the second half of the twentieth century with a long and astute project he designed to convert the environments in a commercial gallery. Starting from the 50s the Marquis Puccio, foreseeing the upcoming cars’ increase in Florence, began the trasformation of the wine cellars into a substantial parking at the service of the city.